Why skip the bleach?
- Bleach may whiten fabrics, but it weakens and deteriorates them over time, and brings with it irritation, toxins, and even carcinogens.
- Inhaling bleach causes irritation of the lungs (greater risk for children whose lungs are developing). It can trigger asthma and even develop asthma in previously non-asthmatic people.
- Bleach can irritate the skin and eyes on contact.
How to whiten linens naturally
- Wash whites separately and frequently in warm water to avoid stain buildup.
- Wash Cycle: Add 1/2 cup baking soda + liquid detergent.
- Rinse Cycle: Add 1/2 cup vinegar (or pour into the drawer where fabric softener goes).
- Optional: Line dry in the sun, a natural brightener and freshener.